Coach Kai Akubo Smith
- USA Swimming Certified
- American Swim Coaches Association Certified
- Current Head Coach-Advanced Technical Aquatics
- Current Head Coach-Gwinnett County Masters Club
- New Head Coach-Princeton Lakes Piranhas
- Current Assistant Coach-Galloway School
- Current Stroke Clinic Instructor-Ansley Golf Club
- Retired Licensed Practical Nurse
- Retired Executive Catering Chef
- Semi-retired Executive Music Producer
Eight years ago I changed my career to become my daughter’s competitive swim coach. It wasn’t something that was on my list of things to do but, as a result, I fell in love with helping kids and adults achieve goals they never thought possible. Since then I’ve coached athletes that have become state, sectional, and national qualifiers. Athletes competing in college on scholarship. Currently I’m training athletes for the 2019 Senior Olympics and the 2020 Olympic trials in addition to writing a book on competitive swimming and establishing a program for training swim coaches, water safety instructors and lifeguards.
My passion is the technical aspects of competitive swimming. I teach athletes specific details and train them on how to use your bodies properly in the water to get the best results with the least impact. Recently, I had an athlete drop 17 seconds in one month. This was the result of his desire, hard work, and dedication along with the appropriate aquatics education.
My hobbies include reading, playing guitar, watching anime and British crime drama, and playing chess (I’m not that good). I also love animals and laughing with friends.
Parents and athletes---I appreciate your trust and I look forward to assisting the Piranhas this year and for years to come as we improve our culture of fun, learning and winning.